What is CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)?
- COVID-19 is a new respiratory illness, that was identified in China, and has since spread across the world, including Kenya.
What are the signs and symptoms of COVID-19?
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Very high fever
- Body ache
How is it spread?
- Contact with an infected person with COVID-19 virus who is coughing or sneezing
- Contact with contaminated surfaces with the COVID-19 virus.
- Touching infected people or surfaces and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Very important- it can be spread for the first 14 days before even before symptoms are showing
- It can cause death, especially in older people or people with existing medical problems.
- There is no known drug that can treat it; currently, there is no vaccine. Only you can prevent it by protecting yourself, your family, and friends. By protecting yourself you are also protecting all Kenyans.
How can you protect yourself and others?
- Avoid handshaking, hugging, or kissing with anyone, even when making a deal at the market.
- Avoid close contact with all people, especially those who have flu-like symptoms. Keep a distance from everyone, including family and neighbors.
- Stay home in your manyatta. Avoid going to trading centers for shopping unless absolutely necessary
- Regularly wash hands with soap and water, or a hand sanitizer
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue/cloth when coughing or sneezing and
- Sneeze into your flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing and you have no tissue or cloth
- Limit paper cash transactions and use MPESA.
- Report fever, cough, and shortness of breath to the nearest health facility.
Should you develop flu-like symptoms such as fever, coughing, and difficulty in breathing, visit the nearest health facility or hospital immediately.
This information is provided to you by the Counties Department of Health, courtesy of the Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC).